Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother by Kersten Campbell


Kersten Campbell doesn’t look like a writer of humorous, harried-mother stories. She looks like a romance writer, with that long, red hair curling fetchingly and limpid blue eyes set in a pretty oval face.
However, when she smiles, you see it. A mischievous twinkle edges out limpidity, and you’re ready to laugh with her.

I had the pleasure of doing the Ladies’ Night Out at CTR Books in Bellingham, WA a couple weeks ago, and I got to spend a few minutes chatting with Kersten. I also got to listen to her read aloud from Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother. I had already read her book, and so I was surprised with how pulled in I was as she read a passage that I remembered quite well. I think it’s because Kersten’s stories are written so they’re just begging to be read aloud.

Each humorous essay is short and easy to identify with. I’ve been an empty nester for a decade, but I still nod my head and laugh out loud as Kersten describes my mothering experience to a T. Here’s a random sample, from the chapter entitled New Year’s Resolution:

This is the year I will get organized. I will clean up that five foot high mound of coats by the front door. I will no longer store spaghetti sauce with the kids’ underwear. No more crusty gooey stains on the shelves of my refrigerator. I will (gulp) fold clothes. And last but not least…I vow to rid my world of all knickknack items. That is why I have turned into “High-Strung, Fierce Junk Annihilator Mommy.”

What follows are the steps in Kersten’s abortive attempt to rid her house of superfluous stuff. We’ve all been there.

Here’s a hint: Mother’s Day is coming. This is a lighthearted little book that would brighten any mother’s day.

If you’re a lucky recipient and feel that you’ve just got to share a story or two with someone, go ahead and do it, for Kersten’s stories are even better read aloud.
To read additional humorous essays on the family and to share your own funny stories, check out Kersten's web site at http://www.kerstencampbell.com/.
And by the way, Kersten will be a presenter at the ANWA (American Night Writers Association) fall retreat at Silver Lake, Washington. If you're interested in attending, email me at writer.lizadair@gmail.com


- - - - - - - -
Become a follower for this blog by clicking on "Follow This Blog" under the image of Counting the Cost. That will let you read the posts that don't appear on the newsstand at yourLDSneighborhood

4 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

I really enjoyed her book and found myself laughing and nodding my head.

Great gift for Mother's Day.

Sarah Albrecht said...

Thanks for the review. I'd love to read the book.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Sounds like a fun book. Thanks for the review.

Cecily Markland said...

It was so fun to meet you in Bellingham, Kersten. Your presentation was delightful and I think your book would make a great Mothers' Day gift for my four married daughters!