Friday, January 1, 2016

Be Kind to Your Tenor Section


I've been a church choir director for several decades now. My success lies in the fact that I don't get overly anxious when people don't come to choir practice.  Maybe someday I'll blog on the tried and true Liz Adair Method of Choir Directing.

But right now I want to talk about the choir I had in Sedro Woolley, Washington. It was a great choir, and some of them even came to practice. I had several children and grandchildren in the congregation, and I leaned on all of them to attend, but there wasn't a tenor among 'em.

Enter Keiffer (Keith) Marino. He was a nice looking young fellow. Gorgeous tenor voice. Came to practice. Boy, we were really cooking when Keiffer was there.

Sadly, he transferred out to better things (he was in the navy). That must have been five years ago. I've gone on to different climes and different choirs, but I heard his voice again yesterday.

My son-in-law sent me a Youtube video of Keiffer singing the national anthem at this year's Holiday Bowl. Take a listen. The caption was, "The way our National Anthem should be sung."

Yea Verily. 





No comments: