Friday, April 9, 2010

Could You Be an Angel Today? by Christine Thackeray


Mother’s Day is coming on May 9. This year I’m asking for Legos. I bought some on Ebay to have for when the grandkids come over, and I got some awesome pieces, but not enough of the regular blocks.

Now, Legos aren’t terribly sentimental, and they don’t say, ‘You’re an Angel, Mom.” I wouldn’t recommend you assume other gray-haired ladies in your life would like Legos for Mother’s Day just because I’ve put the word out that’s what I want.


I do have something to suggest that says that, though. It’s a darling little booklet containing a poem by Christine Thackeray about a mom who gets asked to stand in for a guardian angel named Gladys.


The angel in charge of scheduling who asks for help says,

“It’s just for one day. See, I have here a list.”


And then the mom goes on:


I frowned at the thick scroll he held in his fist,
“All right.” I took it. “I’ll do your bidding.”
Then I read the long page and laughed. “Are you kidding?”

But, she takes on the challenge of being a guardian angel, in addition to her other motherly duties. For one day she flies from one need to another, until at the end of the day:

When at last I collapsed in my bed close to one,
Knowing full well that the list was all done,
I expected some trumpets or heavenly choir,
But I was out cold before it could transpire.

Christine Thackeray is mother of seven children and knows all about covering bases while reaching out to others. She has a wonderful sense of the sweetly ridiculous, and it shines through here as she tells how Gladys gets her day off.


Christine sent me a copy, and I was so tickled with it, I figured I’d blog about it.

This booklet is a mere dozen pages, just the right size to tuck in an envelope and send across the country to a mother figure in your life with the note, “This reminds me of you.” Or, go to Amazon and order it and have them send it for you. I guarantee the recipient will smile.

4 comments:

Joan Sowards said...

I can't wait to read it. It has an adorable cover and a cute title. Just in time for mother's day.

Christine Thackeray said...

Thank you! You are such an angel, no joke!

Unknown said...

You are most welcome, Christine.

And Joan, thanks for dropping by. I look forward to posting about your Chocolate Roses.

Monique said...

Can I steal the cover art? I'll blog about this too. I haven't read it (yet) but I think I can talk about Christine enough to still pull it off.