Saturday, December 19, 2009

Liz Adair's Holiday Fudge

This fudge has been part of my Christmas celebration for over 60 years. My mother made it every year from the time I was a little girl, and I continued the tradition after she died.

You will need:

1 pint marshmallow cream
1 1/2 pounds coarsely chopped walnuts
1 can evaporated milk
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cube butter
2 7-oz hershey bars (the Giant ones--or enough
smaller bars to equal the weight.)
1 12-oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

First, in a large bowl, combine the chocolate chips, the Hershey bars broken into 1/2 inch chunks, the marshmallow cream, and the walnuts. (If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, you can use it--the ingredients will just barely fit into the bowl, but it makes it easier to mix it up. Use the paddle, and put the marshmallow cream in the middle of the ingredients.)

Next, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a large, heavy pot and heat on medium high until it comes to a boil. When the boiling can't be stirred down, turn to medium and start timing, and boil for an additional 4 1/2 minutes

Take off the heat and pour over the chocolate, nut, marshmallow cream mixture. Beat it until everything is mixed together and the candy is losing its sheen.

Pour into a pan somewhere around 10 x 15 inches in size that you've buttered or sprayed with Pam. Or use 2 smaller pans. Or pour into individual, gift-sized pans.

Let cool and then cut into pieces and cover tightly with saran.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tomorrow I'm going to write about one of my favorite Christmas videos--a very off-the-beaten path little story that is wry and funny and heart-tugging and has a you-go-girl ending.

Also, in the wings (and on my camera card), is Navajo Tacos. And, I'll be reviewing some books, too.

And...be sure you don't miss out on the next recipe, review, scrap of wisdom or pithy thought. Become a follower on this blog by clicking on the Join this Site button on the sidebar. Check out my books behind the Liz's Books tab at the top, or read reviews of my latest book under the Reviews tab.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe!!! "Make Fudge" is on my to do list... -never made it before and this sounds great!

Marsha Ward said...

This sounds so wonderful, but I'm too lazy to buy and beat and do all that stuff, especially when I can't eat it in the end. Thanks for the recipe though, for those who can enjoy it.

Kari Pike said...

How fun1 Liz, we use the same recipe! How cool is that! It never fails...is always ultra yummy!
hugs~

Sarah Albrecht said...

Making fudge is on my never-done-but-want-to-do list, too. I'm going to try tinkering (?!) to make it non-dairy so my son can have some.

Laurie LC Lewis said...

I'm copying it, Liz. I've never seen a recipe like this one and I'm excited to give it a try! Fudge is not my forte, so I'm delighted to defer to a tried-n-true sure thing!