Thursday, August 6, 2009

How to Make a Green Chili Burrito

Sometimes, what I blog about depends on what we’re having for supper that night. Tonight it was green chili burritos, so I thought I’d post about how I make them.


I was born and spent many of my growing-up years in southern New Mexico, but I never ate a burrito until I went to college in Arizona. Where I came from, flour tortillas were used to scoop frijoles from the plate to your mouth.


As I said, I learned about burritos in Arizona. There was a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant not too far from ASC campus (now NAU in Flagstaff) that served them, only they were called burros. They were hand-held food, not huge knife-and-fork creations like I saw later in California, and they weren’t dolled up on the outside with guacamole or sour cream. They were more like what Taco Time now styles as a ‘soft taco’. (And don’t get me started on that! Growing up in New Mexico, a soft taco was a corn tortilla fried so it was soft, not crispy.)


Okay. Back to green chili burritos. Here’s my process:


Get a cheap roast and put it in the oven at 350 degrees and cook it until it’s done. Say, 25 minutes to the pound. A four-pound roast you'd cook just under 2 hours. Roast it uncovered so that, when it’s done, you’ll have some nice brown drippings in the bottom of the pan and your roast will be brown, too. Tonight I used a beef roast, but it’s even better with pork.


Set the meat aside to cool and put water in the roasting pan to dissolve the brown stuff sticking to the bottom of the pan. This is what makes your burritos good. I usually cook the meat the day before, or I use leftover roast and gravy from another meal.

When the meat is cool, cut it into ½ to 1-inch cubes.


Put them in a pot, add the drippings and extra water until the meat is even with the water. Add a can of chopped green chili for each 3 cups of meat. Salt to taste, and simmer until meat is nice and tender and the liquid is about half gone.



Remove meat from the broth, and thicken the liquid with cornstarch (probably about ¼ cup) dissolved in ½ cup water. When the gravy is thick, add the meat back in, and you’ve got green chili burrito guts!



Heat a tortilla on a griddle. Take it off, put it on a plate, and add shredded cheddar cheese, onions, salsa and sour cream. (Notice the ziplock bag of sour cream by the plate. I cut a tiny hole in one corner and use it to pipe the sour cream on. It avoids the mess of trying to get it off the spoon. If I don't use it all, I just stick the baggie in a plastic container and keep it in the fridge until I need it again.)


When you're putting your burrito together, be careful not to use too much of any ingredient. You don’t want a blow-out. Fold it like you’d swaddle a baby in a receiving blanket: first the bottom comes up, then one side folds over, and then the other. You eat it from the open top.


Whenever I go away on a book tour or to teach a workshop, I always leave a pot of burrito guts and a package of tortillas, and my husband survives very happily until I get home.



I always buy mild green chilis, but you can use hotter salsa if you like more zing.
~~~~~~~~~~
And...be sure you don't miss out on the next recipe, review, scrap of wisdom or pithy thought. Become a follower on this blog by clicking on the Join this Site button on the sidebar. Check out my books behind the Liz's Books tab at the top, or read reviews of my latest book under the Reviews tab.

8 comments:

Kristine said...

You make my mouth water! We just moved back to AZ from NM, and I miss the Mexican food...I haven't even tried any of my old favorites here in AZ because I love the NM Mexican food so much more. Hmmm...now I'm scheming how to go visit.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl growing up in Phoenix (1940s), we went often to a restaurant called Jordans for Mexican food. I always ordered a red chili burro. My Grandma always order a green chili burro. I didn't understand until I grew up the appeal of green chili. Now it is my favorite and my most-ordered item at restaurants. I have one good recipe but look forward to trying yours. Thanks.

Nichole Giles said...

Ooh, that sounds so yummy. I'm going to have to try that soon. Maybe today. Thanks for sharing.

Nichole

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Liz,
I like your description of swaddling the tortilla like a baby blanket. I also like how you show and tell the step by step process of making them.

Janet said...

#1. I love green chili burritos ! Good recipe, thank you!
# 2. Especially thank you for the tip on throwing ginger in the freezer with your pork/chicken salad recipe! I always have fresh ginger on hand and I can't tell you how much I've thrown out 'cuz it goes "shrivelly" too fast. Don't know why I didn't think of it as that's what I do with my red peppers and tomatoes. Gracias! You've changed my life!!!!

Rachat de credit said...

Thanks a ton it has been a good support, now to make a green chili burrito is very easy with your tips. Kudos

GranJan said...

That has my mouth watering! I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can get freshly fire roasted chili. They even sell them buy variety so you know how hot! I take them home and freeze them 6 per bag, equals about one sore bought can. To use, while still frozen, cut off the cap and discard, flatten out, remove and discard all seeds. No need to cut up. Use the skins as well because the charred portions just add a smokiness to the final product. CAUTION- never handle the chilis with bare hands. I use surgical gloves. Never touch the chilis or the gloves to bare skin (if your eyes or nose start burning, remove gloves and wash your hands and arms with soap before addressing your issues).

Unknown said...

Thanks, GranJan, for posting a comment. Lucky you, for being able to buy the fresh chili. And thanks, too, for the caution about working with chili. Good info!