Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fallow Times

I'm back. Have you missed me? I haven't posted for about 3 1/2 weeks. My keyboard has been gathering dust, and my mind hasn't had a single catchy phrase tumbling around, waiting to fall out onto a page.

In doing interviews, people often ask me if I've ever experienced writer's block. I haven't, but I do have fallow times, every now and then, when I don't want to write and can't even project that some time in the future I might take it up again.

I've learned to embrace these times and not force the issue. In the meantime, during this last one, I helped with a cycling event for charity and went 4-wheeling in the mountains of Central Washington, both of which I'm going to blog about in the next few days. I also have an idea for a story starting to burble in my brain, and I've read several books that I want to review.

The law of the harvest goes farther than 'As ye sow, so shall ye reap' and 'To every thing there is a season.' Equally true is that you can't exhaust the soil. You have to allow it to rest and rejuvenate, to soak up moisture and a bit of manure and get ready to do its magic with the seeds that will be planted there.

I've rested, and I had a couple experiences with cow dung and bear scat while in the mountains. I think I'm ready to do some magic.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Become a follower by clicking on the "Follow" icon under the picture of my latest book, Counting the Cost.

1 comment:

Valerie Ipson said...

I'm glad you're back. I like your reference to "fallow times." It sounds so much kinder than writer's block.